What Information We Collect
We collect the following categories of information in order to provide products and services to you, to communicate with you, to enhance our products, services and operations, and for other operational, legal and compliance purposes:
- Identification information that can be used to identify you, such as your name, alias, address, phone number, email address, payment information, signatures or other identifiers. We may also collect online identifiers, such as your IP address, when you browse our websites or use our applications. We may collect government-issued ID for certain types of transactions - but please provide government-issued ID information only if we ask you to.
- Commercial information, such as products or services you purchased or considered purchasing
- Protected class information under state or federal laws, such as age, gender and family status
- Online activities information, such as browsing history, search history and other information when you interact with our websites, applications and advertisements
- Geolocation data, including precise geolocation data if you allow our application to collect it
- Audio, electronic or visual information, such as audio or video recording when you call us or when you come to our stores, but please note we may not be able to associate such recordings with you
- Professional or employment-related information, such as when you provide us the information in a survey
- Education information, such as when you apply for a job with us or respond to a customer survey
- Inferences or preferences we learn or infer about you
- Other personal information, if it identifies, relates and can be reasonably associated with or linked to you (or your household)
We do not knowingly collect or disclose personal information from children under the age of 16 without parental or guardian consent. If a child under the age of 16 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us so that the information can be deleted.
What Are the Sources of Your Information
We collect different types of information about you from a number of sources, including information you provide to us, information we automatically collect, information we obtain from other sources (specified below) and information we derive or infer about you.
Information You Provide
You may choose to provide us with information when you interact with us. Examples include:
- Identification information. You may provide your contact information in case we need to reach out to you. You may also set up your login and access credentials when creating or accessing your account. To complete transactions, we collect your payment information (e.g., credit or debit card numbers) and signatures. We may need your government-issued ID number or date of birth for certain types of special transactions.
- Commercial information. You may provide or generate commercial information regarding your purchases, returns, exchanges, warranties and rebates.
- Protected class information under state or federal law. You may provide your protected demographic information, including age, gender, marriage and family status, such as when you complete a survey from us.
- Your preferences and inferences. You may let us know your preferences in a survey, contest, promotion or sweepstakes or other content you submit, such as product reviews.
- Professional or employment-related information. You may also provide other professional or employment-related information when you respond to our surveys or apply for a job on Career Portal.
- Education information. You may provide education information in job applications or surveys.
- Other personal information, such as your medical and insurance information, if you submit a claim to us.
Information We Collect by Automated Means
We collect information by automated means online and offline. When you use our websites or mobile applications, Lowe's and our partners may collect certain information by using Cookies and Other Technologies. If you choose to connect your mobile device to our free in-store Wi-Fi, we may collect your device usage information. When you visit our store or call our customer care hotline, we may collect audio or video information.
We collect the following information via automated means:
- Identification information, such as your IP address, device ID, cookie ID, mobile advertising identifier or pixel identifier.
- Online activities, such as browse and search history, interactions with our websites, applications, clickstreams or other information about your online interactions.
- Geolocation data. With your consent, we may collect certain information about your precise location through our mobile applications to help you locate the nearest Lowe's store or for analytic purposes.
- Audio, video or electronic information, such as audio or video recording of the conversations for quality control, training, security and analytic purposes when you call our customer service centers or other phone support lines. We may also use video monitoring and other tracking technologies at Lowe's stores to enhance security, protect against theft and other crimes and to monitor in-store traffic patterns, customer counts and interests, and perform similar analytics. However, we may or may not be able to associate such information with you.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
- Identification information. We may collect your contact information from affiliates, acquired businesses, business partners, public sources or other individuals, such as through “Refer a Friend" programs or if someone purchases a product and asks that it be delivered to you.
- Commercial information. We may obtain your commercial information, such as your purchase history, from Lowe's affiliates, acquired businesses or business partners.
- Inferences or preference information about you, protected class information under state or federal laws, professional or employment-related information, education background and geolocation information. We may collect inferences or preference information about you from business partners, such as data analytics or survey vendors. We may use such information to conduct aggregated analyses of our customer composition, and we may collect your interest and preference information to recommend products or services that may interest you. We may also learn about your preferences from public sources, such as information you submit in a public forum (e.g., a customer review).
Information We Generate or Derive
- Inferences or preference information about you. We may generate or derive some information about you based on other information we collect. For instance, we may analyze your information and infer your shopping preferences to provide tailored recommendations to you. We may also conduct analyses based on aggregated or de-identified information.
Why We Collect Your Information
We use your personal information for various business or commercial purposes, including fulfilling products and services, communicating with you, supporting and enhancing our business functions and for other legal, compliance and security purposes.
Fulfill Products, Services and Transactions
We may use your identification information, commercial information, online activities, geolocation information, audio/video, geolocation and other personal information to provide products and services to you, such as:
- Provide and deliver products and services, fulfill your orders and transactions, manage returns and exchanges
- Process, record and track your purchases, payments, returns, warranties and rebates
- Create and manage your account registrations or benefit or reward program enrollment, such as your account
- Conduct and administer contests, surveys and sweepstakes
- Provide you with in-store navigation and mapping services and help you find store locations near you
- Fulfill benefits associated with your membership or other use of our products and services
- Identify and verify your identity when needed to provide you with products and services or access to our systems
Facilitate Customer Communication and Outreach
We may use your identification information, commercial information, online activities, characteristics of protected class information under state or federal law (e.g., gender), inference and preference, audio/video, professional or employment-related information, education information, geolocation and other personal information to facilitate and tailor our outreach to you, such as:
- Communicate with you through various channels with transactional or promotional information, such as transaction confirmation and reminder, newsletters, coupons and other messages
- Evaluate and respond to your requests, inquiries and applications
- Administer programs for product reviews and surveys as submitted by you and other customers
Enhance Our Products, Services and Operations
We may use all categories of information we collect listed above to enhance our products, services and operations:
- Conduct research and internal analytics, develop new products and services, perform market research and data analytics, and analyze our products, services, websites and applications
- Customize your experiences in our stores and online, including customized advertisements and offers
- Determine and manage the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing
- Administering our websites and applications, and perform accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities
Comply With Legal, Compliance, Law Enforcement and Security Requirements
We may use identification information, commercial information, online activities, geolocation, audio/video and other personal information for legal, compliance, fraud prevention and security purposes:
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, industry standards and our policies and terms, such as our Terms and Conditions of Use
- Assist law enforcement and respond to regulatory inquiries
- Detect security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity and prosecute those responsible for that activity
How We Share Information
We share your personal information with unaffiliated entities (companies outside the family) with your proper implied or express consent. Specifically, we share your personal information to conduct business with service providers and business partners, comply with legal requirements and transfer our business.
Service Providers and Business Partners
We may disclose your personal information to companies that provide various services to us in areas, such as installation, repair, warranty, order processing and fulfillment, information technology, marketing, customer service, data analytics, research and enhancement, fraud prevention, legal, compliance and risk management. These companies may need access to information about you in order to perform their functions but are generally not authorized to use the information we disclose to them for any other purpose.
In limited cases, we may disclose information about you to a third party who may also use the information for their own specific purposes. For instance, we may provide your information to a supplier in connection with product warranty or safety issues, with a business partner who is jointly providing or promoting a product or service to you, or with a social media or online advertising technology company to serve tailored commercial information to you.
Legal, Enforcement, Security and Investigation
We may disclose information about you (1) if we believe we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (2) as we deem appropriate or necessary in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities or tax authorities; (3) when we believe disclosure is appropriate or necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of Lowe's, our customers or others, including to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss or to collect debt you owe; or (4) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity.
Sale or Transfer of Business or Assets
We reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including, without limitation, in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
How We Protect Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed and intended to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. Despite these safeguards, due to inherent uncertainty in the use of the internet and information systems and the potential for unlawful attacks by third parties, we cannot guarantee that the use of our systems, websites or applications will be completely safe or secure.
Information we collect and use may be transferred, stored and accessed globally to support our operations. We retain information for as long as it is needed or useful to provide and improve our 8 products and services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
How to Exercise Your Privacy Choices
Access, Delete or Restrict Certain Sharing of Your Personal Information
When required by law, you may request to exercise your privacy rights including access, delete or restrict certain use or sharing of your personal information. When we are not legally required to do so, we strive to comply with reasonable requests, but there may be a delay in responding to such requests. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before fulfilling certain requests.
You may access or modify your account profile information and view your order history when you log into your account.
To stop receiving marketing emails, you may click on the "Unsubscribe" link in any marketing email you receive from us and update your preferences on the resulting webpage. To provide products and services, we may continue to send transactional emails.
Text messages. We may send text messages with your proper consent. To stop receiving marketing text messages from please reply STOP to the marketing text message. Please note this preference will only apply to the phone number in receipt of the text.
Push notifications. To opt-out from push notifications, please adjust the permissions in your mobile device. This opt-out does not apply to in-app notifications.
Geolocation and in-store location. To stop collecting precise location information by our mobile applications, please adjust your mobile device setting.
Uninstall Lowe's applications. You may uninstall application by following your standard uninstallation process in your mobile device.
To stop the collection of information via in-store Wi-Fi, disconnect from the in-store Wi-Fi network.
Other Important Considerations
Do Not Track
We do not process or respond to “Do Not Track" signals from your browser or other mechanisms that enable consumer choice regarding the collection of personal information about one's online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Cookies refer to small packets of data that websites send to your computer or other internetconnected devices, our business partners use them for different purposes. These technologies can uniquely identify your browser and log information, such as your device type, system and browser information, IP address, system language, location and your interactions with the site. Like other websites, we need some essential cookies for our website to function properly. We also use some functional cookies to pre-populate your log-in ID to make it easier for you, or to help us remember where you left off when you shopped, so you do not have to restart all over again. We may use browser cookies, flash cookies and other types of local storage.
We may also use third-party web analytics services in our online services, such as those of Google Analytics, to help us analyze how users use our online services.
Interest-Based Advertising and Other Targeted Advertising
We collect data about your activities on our websites and applications for use in providing tailored advertising, and we may share information about activities on our websites with advertising networks administered by third parties. These ad networks track your online activities over time and across websites by collecting information through automated means, and they use this information to show you advertisements that are tailored to your individual interests. As a result, you may see certain ads on other websites based on prior activities on our websites and vice versa. We may also combine information about your online activities with your activity in a Lowe's store using our mobile applications.
We may also utilize third-party services that may allow us to associate your prior Lowe's online or in-store transaction data, operating system, user-agent string, IP address, internet browser, installed fonts and similar information with an anonymous ID, which can then be used to target advertising to you on other websites and online platforms. These services may use anonymous IDs that do not contain any personal information or otherwise identify you.
To provide you with a consistent shopping experience, we may also associate various devices you utilize (e.g., smartphones, tablets and desktop computers) by using the information we collect about you. We may combine information we collect from your devices with other information we have about you, such as your Lowe's account information, your interaction with our sites, apps and services and your transaction history.
The Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) has created guidance for online advertisers and provided a mechanism for such advertisers to comply with users' choices regarding interestbased ads. To learn more about ad networks, including how to opt-out of interest-based ads, click here.
Social Media Widgets
Our online services may include social media features (e.g., a Facebook “Like" button). These features are connected to third parties and may allow such third parties to collect certain information, such as your IP address and which pages you visit on our websites. These social media features are not operated by. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy policies of the company providing the features.
Links to Other Websites
Our websites may link to other websites for your convenience and information. For instance, they may link to websites of product suppliers, manufacturers and service providers. We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any website that we do not control and that does not point to this Privacy Statement.